After yesterday’s rest day, the Tour is already heading into the Pyrenees today, where the battle for the King of the Mountains’ polka-dot jersey will continue. In our studio, though, the battle this morning was to see who would get a bigger portion of this polka-dot quinoa porridge — and the cappuccino with the silkiest foam.
If you are also watching the Tour from the West Coast and, therefore, have woken up extra early today to watch the Tour riders go over some of the most classic cols in the Pyrenees before your bike commute to work, you should also consider giving this porridge a try. I like including quinoa in our pre-ride meals for its nutritional value and the boost of lasting energy it adds to any meal, and this porridge is likely the easiest way of putting together a quinoa-based breakfast. It would make for a fantastic breakfast before a long bike ride, or even before your morning commute — especially if you are trying to get extra points towards the Commuter Cup. I tell you: after you’ve had a taste of this, you’ll find yourself contending with all the roadies with shaved legs in the bike path to see who gets first to the next red light — even if you don’t really want to! I mean, I hope you really don’t want to…
RASPBERRY, PECANS AND QUINOA BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups milk, soy milk or almond milk.
- 1 Tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tsp pecans, toasted
- 2 Tsp ricotta cheese (optional)
- Soak quinoa for 5 – 10 minutes, to eliminate its natural bitter coating. Rinse well, using a colander or mesh strainer.
- Put quinoa with milk (2 cups), maple syrup and vanilla in a sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer until tender.
- Optional: Add ricotta cheese and stir well to mix.
- Remove from heat and add toppings: cinnamon, sugar, raspberries, pecans and additional 1/2 cup of milk.