Simon Gerrans (GreenEdge) was quick to jump on a strong attack by Vincenzo Nibali on the Poggio and then even quicker to latch on to the wheel of Fabian Cancellara who held the peloton off the break on his own.
From there, Gerrans had the sprint and the extra strength to overtake Cancellara in the final meters.
Milan-SanRemo Top Ten
1. Simon Gerrans (GreenEdge)
2. Fabian Cancellara (Radioshack)
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas)
4. Peter Sagan (Liquigas)
5. John Degenkolb (1T4i)
6. Filippo Pozzato (Farnese-Vini)
7. Oscar Freire (Katusha)
8. Alessandro Ballan (BMC)
9. Daniel Oss (Liquigas)
10. Daniele Bennati (Radioshack)