The Paris-Nice concluded today with the re-inclusion of the famous timetrial up the Col d’Eze. The standings, as usually are in Paris-Nice, were very tight with the top three separated by only 18 seconds and Lieuwe Westra really pushing Bradley Wiggins for 1st overall. However, the top riders near enough to how they were placed to preserve their positions in the overall with Wiggins winning the stage, Westra in second and Valverde in 6th to finish 1,2,3 respectively overall.
Wiggins gained enough points to take the Green jersey away from Valverde as well, so he finishes with the stage, Yellow and Green and a vary complete performance for the Brit. We may be seeing the form of the rider in yellow for the Tour de France although historically, those who do well this early, don’t see it continue to July.
Paris-Nice Stage 8 Top Three
1. Bradley Wiggins (Team Sky)____19’12”
2. Lieuwe Westra (VacanSoleil)___+2″
3. J.C. Peraud (AG2R)____________+33″
Paris-Nice Final Overall Classification
1. Bradley Wiggins (Team Sky)______28h12’16”
2. Lieuwe Westra (VacanSoleil)_____+8″
3. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar)___+1’10”
4. Simon Spilak (Katusha)__________+1’24”
5. Tegay VanGarderen (BMC)_________+1’54”
Vincenzo Nibali stomped his authority all over the final climb today and moved up to third in the overall. Looks like a three horse race now between Horner, Kreuziger and Nibali.
T-A Stage 5 Top Three
1. Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas)_____5h46’33”
2. Roman Kreuziger (Astana)_______+16″
3. Chris Horner (Radioshack)______+16″
T-A Overall after 5 stages
1. Chris Horner (Radioshack)______24h48’39”
2. Roman Kreuziger (Astana)_______+5″
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas)_____+12″