Bart de Clerq has won the 7th stage of the Giro D’Italia as he managed to hang on against all odds and won by less than a wheel length after a long escape on the final climb. Pieter Weening (Rabobank) hung on to preserve the Maglia Rosa.
The uncharacteristically short stage saw Johnny Hoogerland as the main protagonist on the day as he was away either solo or joined by a few break-mates until the final 10km. However, when the hill really started to go up, it was Lars Bak who went for glory but was caught with 8.3km remaining. The attacks came regularly, as expected over the next few kilometers with Bart De Clerq making the best impression, building a lead of up to 32 seconds and trying solo for the win. However, it was within the final km that Michele Scarponi and Stefano Garzelli, the first of the favorites, to launch for the win. The final attack put many of the favorites in trouble as only Vincenzo Nibali and Roman Kreuziger could hang on to Garzelli and Scarponi.
Stage 7 Top Five
1. Bart De Clerq (Omega Pharma – Lotto)__2h 54′ 57″
2. Michele Scarponi (Lampre)
3. Roman Kreuziger (Astana)
4. Stefano Garzelli (Acqua e Sapone)
5. Vinceno Nibali (Liquigas)
Full Stage results: Gazzetta official
Overall Classification after 7 stages
1. Pieter Weening (Rabobank)_____23h09’59”
2. Marco Pinotti (HTC)___________+:02″
3. Kanstantsin Sivtsov (HTC)_____+:02″
4. Christophe Le Mevel (Garmin)___+:05″
5. Michele Scarponi (Lampre)_____+:14″
Full GC: Gazzetta official