After quietly being involved in nearly every sprint thus far, Mark Renshaw got the gap he needed to move into the overall lead in the Tour of Qatar. The sprint was again a closely contested affair by the majors players of this year’s race – Haussler, Renshaw, Bennati, Boonen and Galimzyanov. However, today’s stage saw Haussler miss only slightly, finishing fourth, as Renshaw, Bennati and Boonen nipped him at the line earning Renshaw enough bonus seconds to take a six second advantage on Haussler in the overall.
With only tomorrows stage remaining, either Renshaw or Haussler will win provided they both make the sprint, as the time bonuses are 10, 6, 4 seconds. However, their is the possibility that someone may go hunting for the intermediate bonuses of 3, 2, 1 seconds to make things closer or further upon the final sprint.
Stage 4 Top Three
1. Mark Renshaw (HTC-Columbia)_____3:12:36
2. Daniele Bennati (Leopard Trek)_____s.t.
3. Tom Boonen (Quickstep)__________s.t.
Overall Top Three
1. Mark Renshaw (HTC-Columbia)______12:47:00
2. Heinrich Haussler (Garmin-Cervelo)___+6″
2. Daniele Bennati (Leopard Trek)______+15″