The weekend stages of the Tour Down Under made for an exciting finish with Cameron Meyer taking this year’s race, as a result of the time gained from the explosive breakaway on stage 4. Meyer has broken the reign of Andre Greipel, as normally the TDU is only contended by the big sprinters due to flat finishes and time bonuses. This year, it looked set for Matthew Goss to take the overall, but thanks to a dominating 1,2 finish by Team Sky’s Ben Swift and Greg Henderson on stage 6, there was not enough time bonus to go around and Goss, who finished third on the 6th stage, had to settle for second overall just 2 seconds behind Meyer.
Overall Classification Top Three
1. Cameron Meyer (Garmin-Cervelo)
2. Matthew Goss (HTC)_____+0:02
3. Ben Swift (Sky)__________+0:08
Stage 6 Top Three
1. Ben Swift (Sky)__________1:53:48
2. Greg Henderson (Sky)_____s.t.
3. Matthew Goss (HTC)______s.t.
Stage 5 Top Three
1. Francisco Ventoso (Movistar)___3:06:10
2. Michael Matthews (Rabobank)__s.t.
3. Mattew Goss (HTC)___________s.t.