Quickstep rider Davide Malacarne has won the 5th stage of the Volta a Catalunya after a long four man breakaway which splintered into a solo escape with 18km remaining. Malacarne had broke free from the pursuit of the peloton at km 145 with Ramírez (Andalucía-CajaSur), De Lis (Euskaltel-Euskadi) and Veloso (Xacobeo Galicia), but then dropped the others and secured a long and challenging solo victory.
Luis Leon Sanchez tried in vain to recoup some of the time that he trailed to Joaquim Rodríguez with an attack with 5km to go, but he was reeled in by the peloton, and although he finished third, one second behind Andreas Kloden there was no great change in the GC standings. Rodríguez is still in the leaders jersey with two stages to go ahead of Tondo by 10 seconds and Taaramae, in third, 43 seconds in arrears.
Stage 5 results
1. Davide Malacarne (Quick Step) 4:50:03
2. Andreas Kloden (Team RadioShack) a 36
3. Luis León Sánchez (Caisse d’Epgarne) a 37
4. Michel Kreder (Garmin-Transitions) m.t.
5. Rein Taaramae (Cofidis) m.t.
General Classification after 5 stages
1. Joaquim Rodríguez (Team Katusha)
2. Xavier Tondo (Cervélo) a 10
3. Rein Taaramae (Cofidis) a 43
4. Luis León Sánchez (Caisse d’Epargne) a 45
5. Nicolas Roche (AG2R) a 1:20